Buttermilk oatmeal muffins
I am a sucker for a good muffin recipe. I’m talking homemade, hot-from-the-oven, paper-wrapped bundles of muffin-y goodness.
I recently posted one of our family favorites, banana crumb muffins, but I’m also a fan of these cinnamon & sugar pumpkin mini muffins and chocolate chip zucchini muffins. As yummy as those are, I think my all-time favorite homemade muffins are these bran muffins; you make the batter ahead and refrigerate it, which makes for tasty homemade muffins multiple mornings in a row!
Oh, and my kids beg me to make those bran muffins, so you know they’re good.
I’m always happy to try a new muffin recipe, especially if it uses up nearly expired buttermilk. I found this buttermilk oatmeal muffin recipe on Allrecipes.com but tweaked it a bit according to the reviews.
It is definitely a keeper, especially if you have picky eaters. It’s a very good, basic muffin recipe. And that’s what I love about it. You could easily mix it up by adding fun stuff like chopped nuts, mini chocolate chips, crumb topping…oh, the possibilities!
I’m not sure it worked but it sure tasted good!
Printable recipe for buttermilk oatmeal muffins below.
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- In a bowl, soak oats in buttermilk for 15 minutes.
- Stir in egg, sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; stir into oat mixture just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups ⅔ full.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 16-18 minutes or until muffins test done.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Makes 18 to 24 muffins.