Chicken & bowtie pasta salad–perfect for summer BBQs!
This past weekend I helped throw a graduation-slash-30th birthday party for my cousin. Along with the red and white decor (I can’t believe this BYU fan had U of U colors all over her home) was a serious spread of goodies. We’re talking seven layer dip, veggie tray, fruit salad (holy crap, the pineapple was delicious!), cheese platter and strawberry & walnut spinach salad. Oh, and let’s not forget the pigs in a blanket that disappeared faster than we could make them.
What is it about those things? They’re like crack, I swear.
One of the dishes I contributed to the celebration was my favorite summer pasta salad. This chicken & bowtie pasta salad is super easy to make, doubles well and keeps in the fridge for a few days. Yay for leftovers! Just plan on adding a few fresh cashews as those do go a titch soft after a day or so. But yay for extra cashews!
As for me, I prefer to leave out the mandarin oranges. Not a fan. Something about the consistency. Feel free to do the same with any of the other ingredients in the recipe.
Oh, and I take it easy on the dressing. It makes for a less creamy salad but I feel less guilty about eating seconds and thirds.
Printable recipe for chicken & bowtie pasta salad below.
- 1 (16 oz) package bowtie pasta
- 2 to 3 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 large can mandarin oranges
- 1 large can pineapple tidbits
- 2 cups red grapes (whole or sliced in half)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 (16 oz) bottle coleslaw dressing
- 1 (6 oz) package craisins
- 1 cup cashews (halves & bits)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water to chill.
- In a large bowl combine pasta with chicken, celery, mandarin oranges, pineapple tidbits, red grapes, green onions and dressing. Toss to coat evenly.
- Chill at least an hour. Add craisins and cashews immediately before serving. Garnish with more cashews.