Pinned & prepped: Crock pot refried beans
Remember those Taco Bell chicken quesadillas my family fell in love with one Taco Tuesday? I found the perfect side dish, and by perfect I mean the yummiest homemade refried beans ever. And you can do them in your crock pot.
Or in your slow cooker if that’s how you roll.
Here’s what I love most about this crock pot refried beans recipe from Chef in Training:
- Requires only 5 ingredients (and that includes water).
- Costs less than a couple cans of refried beans and probably makes 10 cans worth.
- Freezes well (and you’ll want to freeze at least half unless you’re feeding a large group).
- Tastes absolutely delicious.
- Doesn’t splatter all over my stovetop like my favorite refried black beans recipe.
The only thing I might do a bit differently is try to cut down on the saltiness. I’m thinking one less chicken bouillon cube (or equivalent amount of chicken bouillon granlues) or using fresh garlic instead of garlic salt. Other than that, it was absolutely delicious. And of course it paired perfectly with those chicken quesadillas.
I don’t think we’ll ever go back to canned refried beans…unless it’s an emergency (i.e., I forget to start the slow cooker that morning).
After browsing Chef in Training’s site, I’m thinking I’ll also need to try Nikki’s copycat Chili’s salsa for our next Taco Tuesday. Oh, how I love Chili’s salsa, especially mixed with a bit of ranch dressing. Mmm…
What you’ll need for the original recipe:
About 3 cups of dry pinto beans (I used one small package)
Chicken bouillon cubes (or granules)
Medium sweet onion
Previous pinned & prepped features:
- Taco Bell chicken quesadillas
- Southern peach cobbler
- Oatmeal chocolate coconut chewy cookies
- Salted caramel butter bars
- Hello Dolly bars
- Brown sugar & balsamic-glazed pork loin
- Brussels sprouts with bacon & walnuts
- Glazed doughnut muffins
- Crock pot chicken tacos
- Brownie cookies
- Peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
- Copycat Chick-fil-A nuggets
- Slow cooker angel chicken
- Slow cooker chicken & dumplings
- No-bake peanut butter s’mores bars
- Tomato basil Parmesan soup
- Chocolate chip cookie n’ Oreo fudge brownie bar
Feel free to “like” is this REALLY my life? on Facebook. It won’t earn you an extra entry in a giveaway but it will give you warm fuzzies. Even better.