Poblano Mac and Cheese
I love a good recipe off a soup can and this poblano mac and cheese does not disappoint. I was perusing the canned soups (don’t judge) when I stumbled across Campbell’s Condensed Creamy Poblano & Queso soup.
The label had me at queso.
My kids are super picky when it comes to mac and cheese. I’ve tried making homemade mac and cheese many times. They’re favorite recipe is this gourmet macaroni and cheese, but they also loved this crock pot mac and cheese.
That last one is super yummy with a dash or two of sriracha. Mmm…
This poblano mac and cheese is one of the easiest macaroni and cheese recipes I’ve made to date. I liked the flavor as is but you can tweak it according to your preferences. Don’t like tomatoes? Leave ’em out. Want it a bit spicier? Try substituting half the cheddar Jack cheese with pepper Jack or adding some diced green chilies or jalapenos. Want to make it prettier? Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro…something I totally forgot to do for these photos.
I doubled the recipe for our family and had plenty serving it as a main dish. If you’re going to serve it as a side, you could probably get away with a single batch.
- 1 T salted butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (10¾ ounces) Campbell’s® Condensed Creamy Poblano & Queso Soup
- ¾ cup skim milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
- ½ a package elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 T chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and pepper and cook until tender (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato and garlic and cook for another minute. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Stir in soup and milk and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add cheese; Stir until melted. Fold in the macaroni. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
If you’re looking for more yummy recipes, you should totally browse my recipes from the blog Pinterest board.
Feel free to “like” is this REALLY my life? on Facebook. It won’t always earn you an extra entry in a giveaway but it will give you warm fuzzies.